7.25.2012

Marlins Trade Hanley

Yesterday, I saw the Orioles linked to Hanley Ramirez. I had mixed emotions because I know we needed a 3rd baseman, but I am not a Hanley fan. The guy is a malcontent. He is a clubhouse cancer. I can't identify many people like that in baseball, but it seems that Hanley is one of those guys. However, I realized that the Orioles so desperately needed to get a 3rd baseman who could be competent over there. Then I remembered two things...

1) Hanley is terrible defensively and
2) Hanley doesn't want to play 3rd base. He was moved off of SS by the Marlins and has been a malcontent ever since. I definitely don't want him as a SS, we have JJ Hardy who is 1000x better defensively.

So once I remembered that, I did not want Hanley at all. No clubhouse cancers on this team that is busting their hump. No clubhouse cancers on a team that won't give up. Nope, don't want them.

I didn't realize, however that Hanley would be so cheap. Even then, I say no. Now I am relieved that Hanley went somewhere else....

Hanley Ramirez was traded to the Los Angeles Dodgers for Nate Eovaldi and Scott McGough. McGough is a 22 year old pitcher who was in his 2nd professional season with the Dodgers. He was selected by the Dodgers in the 5th round of the 2011 draft. Currently McGough is in high A for the Dodgers and carries an ERA of 3.48 for his career. He is also 4-10 for his career thus far. Eovaldi is considered the better part of the package. Nate Eovaldi has made 10 starts for the Dodgers this year. He is 1-6 with a 4.15 ERA. Eovaldi is not horrible, but I wouldn't exactly say he is good.

This is all they could get for Hanley. Can you imagine what they would have gotten in the offseason? Can you remember when Hanley was considered a top 5 shortstop? Oh, how the mighty have fallen. It sure is a shame for Miami that he fell this far.
-Noland

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...