7.25.2012

US Olympic Legend Gail Devers

Have I said on here that I love America. I love Team USA. They are the best team to root for. In the Olympics I root like crazy for Team USA because they are our representatives to the world. I love that we win the medal count every year. I love that we dominate a lot of events. I loved it when I was a kid and I love it now.

One of my favorite Olympic athletes growing up was Gail Devers. I do not know all the reasons why, but I always loved her. I remember seeing her the first time in the Olympics of 1992 when I was 5 years old. I remember thinking watch this lady with the crazy fingernails win. Guess what? The lady with the crazy fingernails won. Then I was hooked. She was one of the main reasons I got so into the Olympics. This girl was awesome.
Seriously, look at those fingernails. Those things are insane.

Devers, is now 45. She clearly will not be in these games, but that doesn't diminish her accomplishments. Gail Devers won gold in those 1992 Olympics. I was pumped to see her again in 1996. She won two golds in 96. She won in the 100m again and also won in the 4x100m. That is three gold medals over her career for Gail Devers. She has three golds and represented the country well while doing it. She was also extremely captivating the entire time. One other thing, she was never linked to PEDS. Not only that, she said drug cheats should be banned permanently. Just think what could have happened if she got Marion Jones Olympic spots while Jones was juicing. Devers legend could have been even bigger.

For now she will have to settle for 3 golds, and those long fingernails. Oh, and being named to the United States Olympic Hall of Fame this year.
-Noland

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...