7.08.2012

Team USA Finalizes 2012 Olympic Roster

Perhaps the best coach in all of sports, Mike Krzyzewski, has helped finalize the 2012 roster. This is expected to be Coach K's last Olympics with this group. He ended up going for athleticism over size, especially given those that were unable to participate. The team only has three big men.

Here is the roster
PG Chris Paul
PG Russell Westbrook
PG Deron Williams
SG Kobe
SG James Harden
SF Carmelo Anthony
SF Kevin Durant
SF Lebron James
SF Andre Iguodala
PF Blake Griffin
PF Kevin Love
C Tyson Chandler
I probably would have gone Anthony Davis for the final spot on the team given the roster over either Iggy or Harden, but given the options, they really couldn't improve this too much. I would've like to see another big invited, but Davis was the only big cut so what can you do. You would have to assume Lebron is going to be playing a lot of PF.

The starting lineup will probably be
Paul
Kobe
Durant
Lebron
Love

I wouldn't be surprised if it was
Paul
Kobe
Durant
Carmelo
Lebron

I expect the latter 5 to get the bulk of the playing time. If I had to guess who will get the most minutes, I would say Lebron for sure. Paul is a close second in that regard.

Can't wait for this team to step on the court. I love USA basketball even if I don't love every player on this team. I do admire their desire to play for their country though. It used to be a given, but isn't anymore. It will be tough to repeat though. Spain, France, Argentina, and Brazil all have very tough squads full of NBA players. Before the Olympics, I will break down the rosters of the biggest threats to that gold medal. Good thing we got the mastermind Coach K on our side.

-Noland

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...