5.16.2012

Who Will Be The Wizards Coach?

Over at Wizards Extreme they recently did a piece on who the Wizards coach will be next season. This coaching piece is something that will be critical to the Wizards success next season. Due to their success towards the end of the season and the fact that he did decent with poor circumstances you would think Randy Wittman would get a shot. This article got me thinking though, what if he doesn't?

Would Sam Cassell be the next in line? I'd love for the former Nole to get a shot, but I doubt they go with him if they pass on Wittman. He may well be a candidate though down the road.

The post argues that the Wiz should bring in a college coach. I'm not sure that is the way to go, remember the last time that happened. The Wizards had one of the most successful coaches in college, Leonard Hamilton, and he didn't do so hot in Washington. I love Hamilton, he is great as a Nole, but he didn't cut it as a professional coach. If we looked to the college ranks, wouldn't he be at the top of the list again? Do we really want a repeat of that incident?

To me only two college type coaches make sense for the Wizards. These coaches are Brad Stevens of Butler and Gary Williams the former Maryland coach. Why these two? I chose these two because of their connection to Wizards basketball and because I think their coaching styles could translate to the pros. Brad Stevens is a two time national runner up who coached Shelvin Mack in college. He has a track record, is young, successful and is proven to help develop talent. His track record with Shelvin Mack could help give Mack his highest chance to succeed as a pro. Gary Williams is a legend of Maryland basketball. He has won a National Championship and made Maryland a powerhouse. I think the world of Williams as a coach. I doubt Williams would consider it, but wouldn't mind him coaching the Wizards one bit. It might lead to yet another return of Juan Dixon as well.

Of  course, the ideal college coach is Coach K, but does anyone think he is leaving Duke? If Krzyzewki doesn't leave Durham for the Lakers, he isn't leaving for the Wizards. I don't see it happening.

Therefore, I say go with Wittman, but am open to something new. What do you think the Wizards should do? Is there someone better than Randy?

-Noland

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...