5.27.2012

Is Florida State Back?

Before I get started today, let me just say that for some reason my Twitter account has been suspended. They said this usually happens due to unusual following practices which is strange because I am only following like 34 people and have very few followers due to my short time on Twitter. The only thing I can think of is that I challenged the writer from SI, but even then it does not make sense. I will keep you posted when it is no longer suspended.

Anyways this is my final post about the Athlon feature on FSU football. It talks about whether FSU is back as a national title contender. Here are some thoughts. The full article is here.

David Fox said FSU is on the right track, but not truly back. He said they won't be back until they compete for the national championship. Finishing in the top 25 isn't good enough for them to be back according to Fox.

Brandon Gaell said FSU's dominance in the ACC will likely never be replicated, but if being back is saying the Noles can win the ACC, then yes they are back.

Steve Lassan said they are going in the right direction, but it will take another year or two likely.

Mark Ross contends that FSU never left. He said the following "I know that it was the '90s when the Seminoles dominated the ACC and won their two national championships, the last one coming in 1999. And I know that this is 2012, which means it's been more than a decade since the mighty 'Noles were on top of the college football mountain and six seasons since they made their last BCS bowl appearance (2006 Orange Bowl), but it's not like they've plummeted to the bottom of the rankings either. Overall, Florida State has won its last four bowl games and in Jimbo Fisher's first two years as head coach, the 'Noles have won 19 games combined and were ACC Atlantic Division champions in 2009."

Patrick Snow thinks that it would be a fair statement to say FSU is back.

While I would prefer the dominance of the 90s, I am kind of with Ross on this one. We have to put things in perspective. The Seminoles have had a winning year every season since 1976. That is absolutely amazing. Even in the down decade of the 2000s the Noles averaged 8.5 wins. I mean that is still pretty impressive. No team will replicate the run from 1987-2000. We should be thankful that the dark days for FSU appear over and that even during the dark days they had winning seasons. This FSU team is the best we have had in a while and we should be very excited for this year.

-Noland

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...