5.24.2012

FSU's Top 10 Returning Players

During Athlon Sports coverage of FSU yesterday, they ranked FSU's best returning players. I will post their list here along with my list and why I picked who I picked.

Athlon's Picks
10. Christian Jones LB
9. Dustin Hopkins K
8. Timmy Jernigan DT
7. Rashad Greene WR
6. LaMarcus Joyner S
5. Greg Reid CB
4. Bjoern Werner DE
3. EJ Manuel QB
2. Xavier Rhodes CB
1. Brandon Jenkins DE

My Picks
10. Devonta Freeman
9. Nick Moody
8. Christian Jones
7. Rashad Greene
6. EJ Manuel
5. Timmy Jernigan
4. LaMarcus Joyner
3. Bjoern Werner
2. Xavier Rhodes
1. Brandon Jenkins

I took Greg Reid out of my rankings because I think he is too much of an all or nothing player. Reid does not play assignment football and struggles in pass coverage 1 on 1. He has a lot of big play capability, but he gets beat in coverage far too often. Without Bradham though we can afford a player like Reid on defense. I also took Dustin Hopkins off my list because as good as he is, he is a kicker and kickers don't belong in the top 10. Other than maybe Sebastian Janikowski.

The #1 and #2 spot on each list is identical. Brandon Jenkins is clearly the best Seminole football player and was MVP of spring practice. Jenkins has a chance to be a top 10 pick in April and is an All-American candidate. The guy is poised for a monster year. Xavier Rhodes has the same potential and is expected to be one of the top DBs in the country. It is easy for those two.

EJ Manuel is lower on my list because I didn't put him high just because he is a QB. Based on his performance so far I can't put him higher than our defensive standouts. An argument can be made that Rashad Greene can be ahead of him as well due to his awesome freshman season. It is more like T-6 for me there instead of 6 and 7.

Bjoern Werner was an absolute animal last year and was an easy choice for me at #3. With him and Jenkins I legitimately believe we have the best DE duo in the country. Name one better. Go ahead. Timmy Jernigan was a stud last year as a freshman and is my pick to have a breakout season. With those two studs at defensive end, who is going to block this defensive line? Good luck.

Lamarcus Joyner is one of the most underrated players in the country. He had a great year last year in his first season at safety and it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect him to do even better. This is another legit NFL guy.

Christian Jones had a great year last year and is now the leader of the linebacker corps. As Athlon said, Jones is poised for a breakout season and will likely be a key figure on their defense. Also, Jones wears #7. You remember the other Christian who was #7? CJ7 anyone?

Nick Moody hits harder than anyone on the team. He seems to fire everyone up. I think this guy will make it happen this year.

I posted about the 5'8 runningback earlier today, but I am a fan of Devonta Freeman. He will likely lead the Noles in rushing again this season.

-Noland

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...